Top 10 E-Commerce CMS Platforms of 2018
With the continued growth of online businesses, E-commerce remains a huge industry. Our society has morphed into a world of online shoppers which in turn creates an increased demand for online shopping sites. For those businesses looking to jump into online sales, picking the right e-commerce platform is one of the most important decisions you can make. As one of the top web development companies in the nation, we wanted to share our list of the Top 10 E-Commerce CMS Platforms of 2018 to help narrow down your search.
Choosing the best platform can be a lot of work with hours of research needed just to determine which options are credible while still being visually appealing and functional. Our list helps you narrow down your search to the best platforms the industry has to offer.
Top 10 E-Commerce CMS Platforms
- Magento – Offering both hosted and self-hosted options, this free platform currently has the largest market share in 2018. It is an open-source platform which is scalable for all sizes of online e-commerce stores, which explains their popularity. Along with being free, Magento offers a host of features and is used by some major corporations including Nike and Coca Cola with their paid option.
- Shopify – An advantage Shopify has is that you don’t need to install any software as they are a service based solution for e-commerce online web development. Self-hosted, you can use their themes and templates to build an online store which can be managed from anywhere via a mobile app. They offer an excellent POS system, however, that can be considered a disadvantage as there are additional transaction fees applied if you aren’t using Shopify payments.
- OpenCart – OpenCart is unique and powerful, offering simplicity and an active community that continues its’ development. It is an open source store with ready-to-use templates and thousands of extensions and modules available. They are a good option for anyone from start-ups to small and medium-sized businesses.
- WooCommerce – This open-sourced platform focuses on a user-friendly experience which is a great option for smaller businesses or start-ups. It is free and actually has a lot of features available under the free banner. They have themes, apps, and quite a bit of customization options. The biggest negative about them is a lack of hosting which means finding your own security partner.
- Virtue Mart – This platform is relatively simple to start with regardless of experience or skill. As an online expansion for Joomla it comes with numerous built-in elements to help improve your web-based business. One of the few limiting factors about this platform is the short list of payment gateways available.
- PrestaShop – This free open-source eCommerce CMS is great for online stores without licensing fees. Based on a PHP code and MySQL data management it works with Paypal and Google Checkout, is completely free, and has an excellent backend interface. It does have limited scalability but is still a good economic choice.
- OsCommerce – If you like Amazon then this hosted open source platform will feel familiar. It is an older platform which is easy to set-up and customize along with being reasonably priced. There can be issues with technical support so for those who need a moderate level of hand-holding, this platform might not be the best option.
- BigCommerce – This hosted platform has excellent back-end support and comes packed full of features. It falls into the moderately priced category as they lack inexpensive entry-level options. However, they provide great support and quick transactions with lots of optimization available with their customizable Saas.
- SAP Hybris – This multichannel solution offers fully integrated tools and capabilities for both B2B and B2C businesses. It is rather expensive however they offer a top level of sales force automation and sales performance management.
- Drupal Commerce – This system is a bit different in that it was built on an enterprise content management system which gives it a bonus of increased digital marketing support compared to most other platforms. It is a paid option and offers a good deal of customization.
The Bottom Line
The bottom line is that having the right tools for the job ultimately leads to more successful endeavors. Our list of the Top 10 E-commerce CMS Platforms of 2018 provides a short list of the best platforms currently available that will fit the needs of any type of business and help elevate your business to the next level.
We are recognized as a top E-Commerce Design & Development Company on DesignRush.
Be sure to check back every week for great new Lounge Lizard blog articles.Share Article