Boost SEO Rankings with these Title Tag Tips
There are always more effective ways to do things, especially when it comes to SEO and digital marketing. By using “hacks” it is possible to improve title tags for more clicks. For digital marketing and SEO, clicks are important which is why we wanted to share some easy ways to boost SEO rankings with these title tag tips.
Title tags are an important part of a well-rounded SEO strategy. Studies and testing have consistently demonstrated that changing title tags can provide a measurable increase in rankings. Click-through rate is an important metric which search engines track and is related to the overall ranking. By optimizing title tags and using various “hacks” you get increased traffic and higher rankings.
Title Tag Tips
These title tag tips focus on exactly what you should use within your title tag to increase clicks and boost SEO rankings. However, it is important to recognize that just like any other SEO tips, they should be experimented with and tested as every audience is different.
- Proper Length – Length is very important in the title tag. Tags that are too short are not very descriptive and search engines can have difficulty properly categorizing the content. This is especially true when the topic is broad. On the flip side, overly long title tags have too much information which makes categorizing difficult. The optimal length is usually 50 to 60 characters. Obviously, this isn’t always easy to hit, but that is the sweet spot you should be aiming for.
- Using Dates – Dates are very useful in providing current, relevant content especially for lists. You see this a lot with “Best” and “Top” lists for things such as “Top NFL Rookies to Watch in 2019”. Certain keywords work more efficiently when combined with dates, sometimes including the month to narrow the range even more. “Best NFL Games to Watch November 2019”. If a user is searching for the best NFL games to watch, the title tag helps the user instantly identify that this content is current.
- Using Numbers – Numbers are useful due to what is known as “cognitive bias”. The human brain has been trained to identify things that stand out and are specific. This is something instilled over years of development during our younger years. Numbers are specific and stand out when placed next to a list of letters. Consider “5 Ways to Save Money Now” versus “Five Ways to Save Money Now”. The number makes the first tag more identifiable.
- Include Variants – Variations and synonyms should be an important consideration when creating a title tag. No matter what your top keyword choice might be, there are always going to be variations in how people will look for that keyword. Sometimes it is as simple as the plural version of a word. In other cases, it is the difference between “cheap” and “affordable” or “low cost”. When space is available, it can pay dividends to include a synonym or variant within the title tag such as, “Affordable plane tickets – how to get cheap flights”. You are able to double up by using the primary keywords of “affordable plane tickets” with the variant of “cheap flights”.
- Include Action Verbs – Action verbs are powerful. They are commonly used on a website for calls-to-action because they help encourage clicks. For that same reason, they are useful to mix into title tags. The action words demonstrate something additional for the user such as, “Download a free copy of the 100 Best Travel Destinations. While ‘Best Travel Destinations is the main focus, users are encouraged to click if they want to download a free copy.
- Phrasing as a Question – Using questions in title tags can be an effective way to earn clicks simply based on curiosity. People are curious and if you ask a question in the title, they don’t know the answer to, there is an incentive to click and find out. Additionally, this can sometimes lead to earning a featured snippet if the content provides a great answer to the title tag question. Google might then feature that answer for people who search that question or similarly worded questions.
The Bottom Line
The bottom line is that great content serves little purpose if people aren’t finding it. That is why title tags are such an important part of the content creation process. You can boost SEO rankings with these title tag tips by experimenting and testing to find which ones are most effective with your audience. That will ensure more clicks and exposure to the content you worked so hard to create.
Be sure to check back every week for great new Lounge Lizard blog articles.