Tips for Writing Email Subject Lines that will Double Open Rates
Email marketing has been a powerful mainstay for many businesses. As a top digital agency, it has been a core part of our digital marketing services because of how effective it can be. Of course, that effectiveness is directly related to open rates. The more emails which are read increases the number of potential conversions. Today we wanted to share our tips for writing email subject lines that will double open rates.
Using data-driven analysis, you can easily improve your email subject lines which will result in more people actually reading your well-crafted copy and taking advantage of your business propositions.
Tips for Writing Email Subject Lines
- Include the right words in the subject line – The obvious answer! But what are the right words? Certain words convey the proper message to potential customers. Try using at least two words from our list below in your subject lines to add value to the message.
- Avoid the wrong words in the subject line – Just like words in the above tip should be included, there are numerous words that should be avoided because they might trigger spam filters or just a human filter that this is not worth the time to open, Make sure to avoid using the words in our list below whenever possible.
- Follow a 25-character limit – Keeping things short and concise is generally good advice. This is doubly so for email subject lines. According to recent studies, 50% of all emails are opened on mobile devices such as a smartphone. In portrait mode, which is the widest option for a smartphone, you can only see 33 to 38 characters for most phones. iPhones are usually a bit more forgiving than their Galaxy counterparts, however only by a few characters. When you keep is under 35-characters then most phones can read the entire subject line in portrait mode. When you are in the 17 to 24-character range, most of the subject line will be seen in standard mode as well.
- Use as few words as possible – Studies show that the fewer words used, the more opens you will get. This is certainly related to the character limit discussed above. In the case of words, 6-10 is good while 3-5 is the best option.
- Use an emoji – Emojis are a language and a powerful one at that. It isn’t uncommon to hear people speak in emoji during a conversation. “That dress is fire.” It makes sense to utilize this form of communication to add depth and showcase flair.
- Incorporate title case – Title Case is when most words have the first letter capitalized. An example would be the title of this blog, “Tips for Writing Email Subject Lines that will Double Open Rates”. Using title case allows for the important words are easily identifiable. This clarity is doubly important when considering the screen size of mobile devices.
The Right and Wrong Words
Rather than just reading a few words from the list, take the time to digest the entire list. When you compare the right words to words that decrease open rates it becomes clearer why certain words would elicit one response versus the other.
Words that increase open rates
About add advice available better breaking can celebrate content course daily deduction
Deserve do easiest event exclusive exhibition expired expiring fastest find
Freebie go golden holiday hurry important information introducing iPhone jokes just latest
Limited time may monthly new news notice painting plus prettiest promotional re really
Recipe register remember renew revision several ships sleeps snapshot soon special steps
Still time stock summer tell thanks this today only tomorrow top stories try update upgrade
Voluntary voucher waiting ways weekend weekly what won’t wonderful yesterday you your
Words that decrease open rate
100% #1 access announcing alert apply now attend bargain best price billing boss budget
Cancel celebrity certified clearance compare rates deal dear friend debt discount don’t
Download eliminate debt email marketing exclusive deal extend fantastic deal finances free
Friday! Furry giving away greetings hello increase sales incredible deal innovate intelligence
Internet marketing join millions legal limited loan lowest price maintained message contains
Midnight money newsletter no cost no credit no obligation not spam obligation one time
Opportunity perfect performance priority mail prize problem program quickest registration
Request risk free satisfaction score shocking shopper special promotion stop success
Supplies this isn’t spam thousands time limited vacation volunteer weight where
While supplies last who wife
The Bottom Line
The bottom line is that when it comes to email marketing and similar digital marketing services it is important to adapt as technology changes. Our tips for writing email subject lines that will double open rates are based on data analysis which shows how consumer use of email has shifted. Things need to be short and to the point because more often than not a user is checking email on a phone where space is limited. That means you are just two taps away from the delete folder. We’ve also become smarter about recognizing a baited hook which is why not using the wrong words is just as important as using the right ones.
Be sure to check back every week for great new Lounge Lizard blog articles.