What is SEO to the ever changing Google Algorithm
The SEO landscape is not one that ever stays the same in the eye of the Google Bot. Much like a great desert, as the winds (or Google bots) blow, dust is moved around creating new hills in places where the land was previously flat. What that overblown analogy means is that techniques need to shift as Google makes adjustments to their Algorithmic practices.
As the landscape has changed, those people who adapted quickly were rewarded. Those who didn’t got stuck in the sandstorm. While we aren’t in that once fallow land of the internet where you could literally use a few SEO tricks and watch your rank skyrocket overnight, there are still plenty of ways to play the search engine optimization game.
First Things First
No matter what is going on with SEO there are three things everyone should do before getting to the SEO phase.
- Focus your aim – What exactly is your goal? Who is your target audience? What are you trying to get them to do? If you can’t be very precise about those things the rest of this article is going to be much less helpful.
- Understand the audience – Learn about the demographic. Determine basic things like motivations, social contexts, needs, and all the other important factors. Understanding your potential customers or audience inside and out is a key to actually connecting to them.
- Update your analytics – It is important to understand what works and doesn’t work. Installing or updating your analytical software along with learning how to properly read the results will pay huge dividends.
Now that you understand what you are hunting and more about them you can actually get to the point of loading up and firing off a few rounds.
- Do your keyword research – This goes for mobile and desktop. You need to understand how and what people will be searching for so you can keyword your site and conte
- Use the right words – If someone searches by asking a question in a certain way you need to have the right words to match. If you use “Moon Circumference” but people ask, “What is the circumference of the moon?” then you have a divide.
- Tag it – Make sure to use keywords and phrases in your title tags. This will help improve rankings. Meta description tags should describe what pages are about. Headers and sub-headers should header tags with relevant keywords too.
- Provide something – A blog, articles, press releases, forums or any sort of content generation to help add content (and keywords) to your site regularly. Content is still king and fresh, useful content is the Emperor! This goes back to who your audience is. Write something useful for them.
- Keep it natural – Keywords should be used as naturally as possible in writing. Use of keywords and keyword density is important but so is having a readable piece of information that provides value. People who hack together nonsensical text riddled with keywords are doing the world a disservice.
- Get social – You want to share and link your content on other sites and social networks. Make sure if you are producing content that you have share buttons on the site for a single-click SEO boost.
- Linking directories – Be smart with your associations. Ideally any place you use to get a link back should be reputable, active and have quality links.
- Be consistent – Increasing rank and adding inbound links takes time and patience; it also takes consistent work. Analyze data weekly and ensure that you are doing something each week to help increase your rank.
- Keep informed – Read publications, go to training seminars and conferences and generally keep abreast of what is happening.
- Embrace change – This is a very important aspect of SEO because everything can change rather quickly.