Long Island Web Design Companies
10 Good Questions for your Web Developer
Whether you are looking to upgrade an existing website, or have one built from the ground up, make sure to ask the Long Island web design companies you consider these questions to make sure your money is being well-spent.
Let’s be honest, there are plenty of business owners that have gotten short-changed by some companies or individuals that either over-charge or deliver less than a quality product. In some cases this might have been avoided by simply asking the right questions or knowing what you should be looking for when hiring someone to develop your website.
- Can I easily update this site myself? Many sites are designed with a Content Management System (CMS) that allows users to upload images, add text, and links. Make sure to ask for a demonstration to see if it is something you can do, otherwise it will be an additional cost to have someone else do it for you.
- Is this a custom site or built using templates? Ideally you want an original site. While a template site might be passable for some small businesses; you are basically putting yourself in a box and losing out on originality along with customized navigation and features to help you stand out from the crowd. Unless, that is, you want to look like other template-driven sites.
- Do you have examples of other sites you have created for similar businesses? You want someone who has dealt with the same industry and same sized-business as you have so it is not a journey of self-discovery for them. After all, you are hiring someone for their experience, not inexperience.
- Who will host the website? Some developers offer hosting while others don’t. It is important that you are comfortable with who is hosting your site along with understanding enough about their reliability and costs associated with using them.
- How long will it take? This is an important question as you don’t want a project to drag on and on when you were expecting it to be done in a six weeks.
- Who will work on the project? Does the company have project managers for each project, coders, developers, and other personnel on hand or do they outsource?
- Can they provide a timetable of milestones for each stage of development? This helps with tracking work and expectations.
- Can they create customized forms, applications, e-commerce carts, images, and other design aspects? Not every company has the experienced people available to do certain types of work.
- Who handles SEO? Is this something they can guide you in or will you need to hire an SEO firm.
- Who handles content? This question goes hand-in-hand with the SEO question. Are they going to want you to create content or do they have in-house people who can craft quality content for the site?
With these questions you can narrow down the field to help find a professional company that meets your needs out of the numerous Long Island web design companies that are out there. Remember, you are paying for a service and should get the most for your money.