Five Mistakes a Good NYC Website Design Firm Won’t Make
Websites can be designed in quite a few different ways. Some companies use standard templates which takes a lot of guess work out of it. However most of the really good NYC website design firms create each site individually, because in essence each business is unique and should be represented as such.
So what separates the good designs from the bad? Well to begin with, the good designers never make these five mistakes:
- Using the wrong color – Colors have a powerful psychological connection. Some colors sooth while others excite. Using an aggressive color when your goal is to induce sales of relaxing products is one example of a mistake. On the flip side, a site aiming to sell tools or “manly” items will not wish to use soft pastels.
- Using whitespace incorrectly – White space, when used properly, will give an open and airy sense to any project. Not every bit of space needs to be utilized, because not using space properly is every bit as important as filling space properly. You can use white space to separate sections just as easily as a line and with some sites being so overwhelming with colors and such, white can be a soothing change of pace.
- Navigation problems – Ideally you want people to be on a site for 30 seconds or more. One way you do this is by having easy-to-find and use navigation so people can find what they want. Mistakes people make are things like slow-loading graphics and flash animation that lasts too long, far too many navigation options, and pages that are so full your eyes are overwhelmed like looking for a needle in a pile of needles.
- Not trying to sell – “Always be closing!” The classic ABC line of sales means you should be trying to sell as much as possible. Most websites are designed around selling a product, yours or someone else’s, or a service. However some designers shy away from using enough “call to action” buttons to actually get the results people want. Of course the flipside is going overboard, but you need to have enough that people know what you are offering and how to get it.
- Not being responsive – There is a lot of web traffic on mobile devices such as phones and tablets these days. If your site isn’t built on a responsive platform to take advantage of that fact then you are simply losing business by not being as available as a competitor. All good web designers understand this which is why they do their best to show every client exactly why you need a responsive site in today’s world.
There are plenty of things that a NYC website design firm will do that lesser firms won’t, but we can cover that later. For now, these are the things that to top firms never do and any company you are going to hire to design your website shouldn’t either.