Common questions for an SEO company
So you need to hire an SEO company but have never dealt with one before. How do you choose between the many options out there?
To ensure that you are hiring an experienced, reliable SEO consult ask them these questions to get a better idea about what they can do for you.
- Who are your clients? – Seeing a list of current and past clients is basically a reference sheet allowing you to contact those businesses and review how well the company worked out for them. You need to understand how effective the company can be and what type of SEO campaigns they can handle.
- How will you help me? – It doesn’t get any more important than this. Exactly how will an SEO company increase your search engine rankings? A company should have existing strategies that they can apply to your business and its’ needs to make a clear plan. They should be able to explain how long it will take to reach the goals and measurable benchmarks they will achieve.
- Do you follow Google, Bing and Yahoo best practices? – This is important because you want to make sure that your consultant is following the rules. There are certain tricks some people use to try and bolster rankings and while they might work for awhile, if you site gets flagged it might end up with low rankings or even be banned from search results.
- Can you improve local search results? – This is more important when you have an actual brick-and-mortar store. With more people searching for retailers and services online, having a company that has and can provide great local results is important. Local SEO means having your city and state incorporated into tags along with having your site included on local listings plus a few other things.
- How do you measure your success? – In the SEO world measured success is based on increased traffic along with understanding where it comes from and finally increased conversions. They should be adept at using Google Analytics along with sharing results with you to show what caused increased and why. Learning about why they do something is important for the future.
- How often will we communicate? – Everyone is different about communication and you need to pick someone that matches what you need. Some people are hands on and want weekly updates discussing changes and such while others might want to meet each month. Then do you talk in person, via Skype, or on the phone?
- What are the costs involved? – You should have a solid understanding of what services you get for the price and how you are paying such as monthly, hourly, or by project. You should also talk about the contract, early termination and everything else your company normally deals with when going into business with someone.
Another key point, which needs to be discussed, is ownership of content. After their services are done you should still own all the content that they provided along with any changes they made to your site on your behalf.
Using these seven questions can really help ensure that you hire an SEO company that will get the job you need done properly.